Wednesday, June 14, 2006
So Weary Of It All
Generally speaking, I steer clear of writing about politics primarily because I value my attractive blood pressure, but also because no one really gives a good goddamn what I think about the state of the union anyway. But I am particularly lippy this evening, so I'm about to break my own rule. I do believe I'll blame it on the booze.

Any American who isn't living in a cave knows that politics is a polarizing force, but I think it's even more divisive nowadays than it has been in a very long time. It's unfortunate to see the animosity among countrymen who, by and large, are on the same side on most issues. But I guess that's why they call it politics and not the county fair. Speaking of county fairs, I sure could go for a nice crispy funnel cake right now.

But back to the point: People disagree, the occasional tempers flare, and individuals seek solidarity with like-minded folk. That's all well and good, and that's what makes ours a dynamic society. But I've gotta say, if I get referred to as a "moonbat" again in the near future, my ever-present grace and poise (shut up) will go out the window and I'll be looking for the nearest groin in which to plant my foot. I'm sure those who stand on the opposite side of the political fence are equally tired of the name-calling.

I read a great quote once. I'm paraphrasing here, but it was something along the lines of, "When a man resorts to name-calling he is admitting that he's run out of good ideas." Amen, person whom I cannot name and am far too lazy to look up.

The day we, as a collective citizenry, can discuss the pros and cons of the issues without relying on the sloppily lobbed political epithet will be a day that we can make some progress and gain some understanding. I hope that day comes during my lifetime, if for no other reason than I really don't delight in kicking people in the crotch. But don't test me, because I totally will.


footer